Man Ther. 2010 Apr;15(2):200-5. Epub 2010 Jan 13.
Jansen J, Weir A, Dénis R, Mens J, Backx F, Stam H.
University Medical Center Utrecht, Department of Rehabilitation and Sport Medicine, Utrecht, The Netherlands. firstname.lastname@example.org
The purpose of the study was to compare thickness of the transversus abdominis (TA) and obliquus internus (OI) muscles between athletes with and without longstanding adduction-related groin pain (LAGP). Forty two athletes with LAGP and 23 controls were included. Thickness of TA and OI were measured with ultrasound imaging on the right side of the body during rest. Relative muscle thickness (compared to rest) was measured during the active straight leg raise (ASLR) left and right, and during isometric hip adduction. TA resting thickness was significantly smaller in injured subjects with left-sided (4.0+/-0.82mm; P<0.001) or right-sided (4.3+/-0.64mm; P=0.015) groin complaints compared with controls (4.9+/-0.90mm). No significant differences between patients and controls in TA or OI relative thickness during the ASLR and isometric hip adduction were found (all cases P>/=0.15). In conclusion, TA resting thickness is smaller in athletes with LAGP and may thus be a risk factor for (recurrent) groin injury. This may have implications for therapy and prevention of LAGP. Copyright 2009 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.
Tuesday, 11 May 2010
Why Advertise with us ?
We have a specific audience of over 600 Sports Physicians Radiologists and Surgeons all working in Sports Medicine the fastest growing medical speciality. Our clients include Arsenal, Liverpool, Everton, Celtic, Tottenham, Aston Villa, The FA, The RFU, The EIS, IMG.. please contact us using the tab above for our rates.
- ► 2013 (15)
- ► 2012 (8)
- ► 2011 (29)
9 May - 16 May
- Pubic Inguinal Pain Syndrome - Sports Hernia ?
- The groin triangle: a patho-anatomical approach to...
- A systematic review of the literature on the effec...
- The inguinal release procedure for groin pain: ini...
- Adductor-related groin pain in recreational athlet...
- Adductor tenotomy: its role in the management of s...
- Minimal Repair technique of sportsmen's groin: an ...
- Resting thickness of transversus abdominis is decr...
- The short-term effects of high volume image guided...
- Favorable outcomes after sonographically guided in...
- ▼ 9 May - 16 May (10)
- ► 2009 (14)
- ► 2008 (28)