Br J Sports Med. 2009 Aug;43(8):579-83. Epub 2009 Jan 21.
Mann CD, Sutton CD, Garcea G, Lloyd DM.
Department of Surgery, University Hospitals of Leicester, Leicester Royal Infirmary, Leicester, UK. email@example.com
OBJECTIVE: To assess the impact of the laparoscopic inguinal release procedure with mesh reinforcement on athletes with groin pain. DESIGN: Prospective cohort study. SETTING: Private sector. PATIENTS: Professional and amateur sportsmen/women undergoing the inguinal release for groin pain. MAIN OUTCOME MEASUREMENTS: Change in patient's symptoms, functional limitation and time to resuming sporting activity following surgery. RESULTS: 73 sportsmen/women underwent laparoscopic inguinal release in the study period, 37 (51%) of whom were professionals. 95% were male with a median age of 30 years. Following operation, patients returned to light training at a median of 1 week, full training at 3 weeks (professionals-2 weeks) and playing competitively at 4 weeks (professionals-3 weeks). 74% considered themselves match-fit by 4 weeks (84% of professionals). Following surgery, there was a highly significant improvement in frequency of pain, severity of pain and functional limitation in both the whole cohort and professional group. 88% reported a return to full fitness at follow-up, with 73% reporting complete absence of symptoms. 97% of the cohort thought the operation had improved their symptoms. CONCLUSIONS: This study shows that the laparoscopic inguinal release procedure may be effective in the treatment of a subgroup of athletes with groin pain.
Tuesday, 11 May 2010
Why Advertise with us ?
We have a specific audience of over 600 Sports Physicians Radiologists and Surgeons all working in Sports Medicine the fastest growing medical speciality. Our clients include Arsenal, Liverpool, Everton, Celtic, Tottenham, Aston Villa, The FA, The RFU, The EIS, IMG.. please contact us using the tab above for our rates.
- ► 2013 (15)
- ► 2012 (8)
- ► 2011 (29)
9 May - 16 May
- Pubic Inguinal Pain Syndrome - Sports Hernia ?
- The groin triangle: a patho-anatomical approach to...
- A systematic review of the literature on the effec...
- The inguinal release procedure for groin pain: ini...
- Adductor-related groin pain in recreational athlet...
- Adductor tenotomy: its role in the management of s...
- Minimal Repair technique of sportsmen's groin: an ...
- Resting thickness of transversus abdominis is decr...
- The short-term effects of high volume image guided...
- Favorable outcomes after sonographically guided in...
- ▼ 9 May - 16 May (10)
- ► 2009 (14)
- ► 2008 (28)